[BreachExchange] Personal Information of Nearly 80, 000 MyRepublic Customers Accessed After Breach

Sophia Kingsbury sophia.kingsbury at riskbasedsecurity.com
Fri Sep 10 08:26:52 EDT 2021

https://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/80000-myrepublic-customers-breach/

The personal data of approximately 80,000 MyRepublic mobile subscribers was
accessed without authorization last month.

The Singaporean communications services provider released a statement on
Friday (September 10) claiming that the breach took place on August 29 via
a third-party data storage platform used to store customer data.

The unauthorized access reportedly affected 79,388 mobile subscribers based
in Singapore. The customer data contained personal information, including
scanned copies of NRICs, proof of residential address documents and names
and mobile numbers.

MyRepublic added that there is no reason to believe other sensitive data,
such as payment information, was breached. The communications service
provider has since secured and contained the incident.

The telco stressed that the unauthorized access had no operational impact
on its services. Nevertheless, it has informed the Infocomm Media
Development Authority and the Personal Data Protection Commission of the
incident.

MyRepublic also activated its cyber incident response team, comprising a
group of external expert advisors to work closely with its internal IT and
Network teams.

“We are disappointed with what has happened, and I would like to personally
apologize for any inconvenience caused,” said MyRepublic chief executive
officer Malcolm Rodrigues.

MyRepublic said that it would give all affected customers a complimentary
credit monitoring service through Credit Bureau Singapore (CBS), which will
monitor their credit report and notify them when any suspicious activity
occurs.

Rodrigues added: “We are reviewing all our systems and processes, both
internal and external, to ensure an incident like this does not occur
again.”